close
close

The El Paso City Council is discussing entering into a contract with the El Paso Zoological Society

EL PASO, Texas (KVIA) – The El Paso City Council will discuss finalizing its contract with the El Paso Zoological Society behind closed doors on Monday. This comes amid tensions that have arisen between the agencies after their agreement expired on March 17.

On Sunday, the city of El Paso responded to statements from the zoological association, in which the association claimed the city was demanding unrestricted access to its funds. According to the city, that never happened.

The city said they want the association to account for and transfer the funds it holds after the licensing agreement between the two agencies expires.

The zoological association opposes that request, saying the city no longer has a legal basis now that the contract has expired. The city said the society is obliged to do this for its intended purpose.

The previous agreement stated that the association would sell zoo memberships and keep 75% of the revenue. That money would be used to improve the zoo, but also for projects and social activities. The remaining 25% would be used for activities and promotions at the zoo.

ABC-7 is present at the city council and will bring you all updates over the air and online.

BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION

KVIA ABC 7 is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversations.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can view our community guidelines by clicking here

If you have a story idea to share, submit it here.